Facebook

In recent years Facebook has become a tremendous medium for social networking and community building. They have not only made it simple to articulate information about a person, but to also build groups, campaigns and more.

It therefore seemed only reasonable to have an Art Of Community Facebook Page. Simply head over to the page, and click the Become a fan link and you can be part of the gang.

So, lets talk social networking. Have you folks used social networking sites to build community? What have you found to be the most impressive sites, and which have been most difficult to use? What do you feel the value of social networking is in community?

7 Responses to “Facebook”

1. JoshPanter January 17, 2009 at 2:38 am #

Ok, so I have resisted Facebook up to now. But I do have a MySpace, which has been literally INVALUABLE in keeping a community of friends from “back in the day” connected and strong. It’s easy to use, but I don’t like Rupert Murdock, who (last I knew) owns MySpace now. So I rarely use it.

But this is another reason to use Facebook…You win.

I would prefer to use an open source social networking site! Perhaps something based on Drupal? (which is my 2nd F/OSS addiction) Anybody have a solution to that one?

2. Blaise Alleyne January 17, 2009 at 3:55 am #

I’m a huge fan of Facebook over MySpace, but I must admit that, as an artist (and someone who helps other artists with their web needs), Facebook music pages are still pretty weak compared to MySpace as far as community goes. It’s frustrating for me, because MySpace drives me mad, but Facebook’s technical superiority just hasn’t translated into a platform to make meaningful connections with fans yet.

3. Jono Bacon January 17, 2009 at 9:34 am #

Blaise: can you elaborate what kind of needs you have, what community you are seeking to build and how social networking varies?

4. Florian January 17, 2009 at 8:27 pm #

Social Networking … mmh. I spend lots of time with myspace. But I deleted my account already 7 or 9 months ago. I don’t wanted to waste my time to block fake accounts … ;)

I own a facebook account, I just created it for one friend of mine who lives in britain. But I like the idea of facebook and the design. It’s nice and clean, but a little bit too colour-less and minimalistic.

What I’m loving is last.fm and blogging. These two are my favourite. I also read many blogs and write lots of comments, to get in contact with the author and other readers.

Anyhow, I like the sense of social networking. You can easy get in contact with people around the globe, who has the same interests like you. This is great. You can communicate with them you can even create business connections! Wonderfull.

But in my opinion, there are even more possibilities. I dream of an open source social network plattform. You can create a profile, you can easy upload files from your desktop, like images, documents etc. So you can share these files with your friends. On this plattform you have various applications, like a simple chat tool, an office programm like google docs and maybe an easy to use graphic tool like Flickrs picnic.

What I mean is a symbiosis of google docs, flickr, facebook, last.fm and Apple’s .mac.

The possibilities of Web 2.0 are endless, we should use them …

Best regards folks!

5. Marco January 17, 2009 at 8:50 pm #

@JoshPanter: If you want build your own social network Drupal is your best bet in imo. Alternatives are elgg.com and ning.com. Maybe Google know some more. :)

6. Sense Hofstede January 18, 2009 at 11:53 am #

Social network sites can be great to keep in touch with your fellow developers to see how far everyone is. But everyone has to use it and regularly update it. Maybe Identi.ca would be just as suitable for keeping your friends up to date. For asking questions, a social network site isn’t suitable, but for giving kudos it is. You could ask yourself if that’s worth the trouble though.

7. JoshPanter January 20, 2009 at 1:32 am #

@Florian: I run my site on Drupal..I absolutely LOVE it. It is so darn flexible and easy to use and learn.

It is a wonderful open source social networking, content management, “whatever you can think of” platform. It can do what you are looking for.

There are plugins for everything and almost anything, and easy api’s full of hooks, so easy dev. (even though I’m not that deep into dev work with drupal)

I would like to echo the dream that there be an actual social networking site built on open source tools and licensed Creative Commons. I would be first in line.