Ton Roosendaal Contributing Content

Over the coming weeks I am going to be posting some updates on some of the people who have contributed content to the book, and some of the examples and stories that are featured. I think this will give you folks a definitive idea of the kind of content that is coming into the book.

One of the first people I interviewed for content was Ton Roosendaal from the Blender Foundation. Ton’s story is incredible and the Blender community is a tremendous place for creativity and growth. Ton has demonstrated an unrelenting commitment to building a free suite for creating imagery and animation. This has in turn enabled a global community of people who can express their creativity without either (a) spending $2000 on software or (b) pirating the software and putting themselves at risk of prosecution. In the book I talk about the transition that Blender made when it was Open Sourced and how Ton made it happen.

13 Responses to “Ton Roosendaal Contributing Content”

1. Marco January 17, 2009 at 8:43 pm #

Oh yeah, Blender is some rockin’ project.

2. JoshPanter January 17, 2009 at 9:59 pm #

Better and better all the time! Blender is awesome. Simple and to the point: it is one of my favorite projects in the open source world (even though I am not so proficient at using it!). The fact that, as your article states, it grants accessibility to creative-productivity tools to people from all levels of socio-economic status that would care to install and use it is phenomenal; it takes the whole world of digital creativity and kills the exclusivity that was reserved for the wealthy, allowing absolutely anyone to participate in the world of expression and discover their talent.

I love the implication of the open source world that pure talent and true insight and genius is in no way limited to those that can afford the tools to express those qualities. It seems to be, at least to me, a very critical part of the philosophy of open source. Part of the ethos of the community, to turn a phrase.

3. Jono Bacon January 18, 2009 at 2:39 am #

Josh:

Absolutely. I think this is the magic behind Open Source: everyone has the opportunity to prove themselves. Blender has been a superb example of that.

4. Florian January 18, 2009 at 7:07 pm #

I love Blender, one of the greatest and I in my opinion one of the importants applications of the open source world. I hope the best for this project and that more and more talented artist will discover it.

Also a very good app is Inkscape! It already rocks the vector world quite next to illustrator.

5. Gerard Braad January 18, 2009 at 11:03 pm #

When I say the announcement of AOC, I thought of several community leaders: Jono Bacon, Joe Brockmeier, Aaron Seigo, Louis Suárez-Potts, Paul Frields, Peter Saint-Andre and Ton Roosendaal.

Ton certainly knows how to deal with building and maintaining the community around Blender.

6. Jono Bacon January 18, 2009 at 11:31 pm #

Thanks, Gerard!

7. pseudoruprecht January 19, 2009 at 7:14 am #

This is great news! Blender was one of the first projects that pulled me into that free-as-in-speech-thingamabob. I was always impressed by the community Ton helped to build around the software. Hey, he even managed to foster a wild bunch of documentation authors ;) Jono, if I had needed a decisive factor to buy your upcoming book, this might have been it.

8. MacSlow January 19, 2009 at 10:26 am #

I’m really looking forward to that book of yours. Seeing Ton being among the first to represent a very successful OpenSource project makes me count the days until the mid of 2009 even more impatiently :)

9. Dread Knight January 21, 2009 at 5:56 am #

Open source FTW!

10. Traitlylabrix January 31, 2009 at 6:53 am #

Hello, I can’t understand how to add your blog ( http://www.artofcommunityonline.org ) in my rss reader

11. Haxnoidaded February 1, 2009 at 8:54 am #

http://www.artofcommunityonline.org – now in my rss reader)))

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. More Updates | Art Of Community Online - January 18, 2009

[...] Also, thanks to Blender Nation for mentioning the book and Ton Roosendaal’s Interview involvement. [...]

2. Art Of Community Update | jonobacon@home - January 19, 2009

[...] well. Today I finished up Chapter 5 and sent it off for editing. I have been interview content from Ton Roosendaal of Blender and Cristina Verduzco of the East Bay SPCA with more on the way. Now it is onto Chapter [...]