I just wanted to provide a quick update about the second edition of The Art of Community and the progress that is being made.
After a fast and furious month of writing and editing, the two new chapters (Managing and Tracking Work and Social Media) are now completed. I have also been through and added a number of additional chunks of extra content and information throughout the book. Some highlights include:
- In Chapter 2 we now also discuss methods of generating revenue to financially support your community.
- Additions to Chapter 7 for how to coordinate event attendance, create effective presentations, and deliver great talks.
- Discussion in Chapter 8 about how to react to community concerns in a structured and feedback-orientated way.
- I added a number of additional conflict and relationship scenarios to Chapter 11 and how to handle them.
- A significant new addition to Chapter 12 for how to create a community summit, using the Ubuntu Developer Summit as an outline.
Finally, I now have 12 interviews that are part of the new Community Casebook chapter. I will be announcing each of these interviews in a dedicated news story here on artofcommunityonline.org over the coming weeks. The interviews are absolutely fascinating and provide great lessons and stories in the book.
Right now I am finalizing the content and then on the 15th Feb the book will go to O’Reilly for copy-editing and will go through the entire book with a fine-tooth comb to ensure everything is looking solid.
In the meantime I am also starting to put together the press plan for publicizing the second edition. If you are a journalist who would like to cover the book, please get in touch with me.