The book is also be freely available online to enjoy, share and modify under a Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike Non-Commercial license.
With this license that the book is under you have the following freedoms with the entire content:
- to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
- to Remix — to adapt the work
…with a few requirements:
- Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
- Noncommercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
- Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.
While the book is ready to download right now, the book is available to buy in print, on Kindle, and other electronic book formats and I would like to encourage you to buy a printed copy of the book for a few reasons:
- Firstly, buying a copy sends a tremendous message to O’Reilly that they should continue to publish books (a) about community and (b) under a Creative Commons license.
- Secondly, it will encourage O’Reilly to invest in a second edition of the book down the line, which will in turn mean that communities around the world will have a refreshed and updated edition that is available to them.
- Thirdly, aside from the voting-with-your-feet side of things, it is just a really nice book to own in print. It is really well made, looks stunning and feels great to curl up with in a coffee shop or on the couch.
Even if you don’t buy it, I would be hugely grateful that if you like it, please go and review it on Amazon (see the links above). This is a hugely contribution. Thanks!